Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Resting

The red clay will one day
swallow up my gunnysack
of meat and sticks. Who could cry
about this everyday thing?
Who finds it sad when old friends reunite?
When twos become ones? Besides-
there are no drunk uncles who want to
hit me or put themselves in me,
sweating and furious with themselves,
under the red clay or brown dirt or green grass
or any other place I'm apt to lay.

I want to say that I will end up
in the ground safe from uncles
and hellhounds and hate. But 'end up' is not
quite right- I'll stay in that bright red clay for a
night or two and then I'll turn to dust or soil
and, with the turning of the earth, will traipse away
into the void. We got these forms from the hearts
of dying stars, you know,
and I'm a good boy so someday
soon I'll give mine back. That's good
sharing; we learned it when we were kids.


(copyright a(scetic)verse, Jan 03, 2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment